Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I need to be receiving care to trigger my benefit?
A: You need to be paying out of pocket for your care before you can apply for the Aid and Attendance pension.

Q: What if I already receive money from the VA?
A: You may be entitled to additional Aid and Attendance allowance but it will depend upon what type of benefits you are receiving from the VA.

Q: I can not locate the discharge papers?
A: You can request military records from or on our Home page…just click the button on the right side. This is a free service from the National Archives and Records Administration. You don’t have to receive them to apply but we will need as much of the following information as possible:
1. Date of Entry
2. Date of Separation
3. Branch of Service

Q: My mom can’t locate their marriage certificate or my father’s death certificate?
A: You can visit the Department of Vital Statistics in the county where the marriage or death occurred or go to

Q: How quickly will I receive a check?
A: The VA takes approximately 4 -12 months to make the decision. However, the VA does pay retroactively from the date of application. An application must be turned in to us by the third week of the prior month for which the Veteran and/or Surviving Spouse is applying. For example, if you are applying for September benefits the application must be turned in no later than the third week of August and the VA will start the payment date as of September 1st. A check should be mailed 10-15 days after the award letter is received.

Q: What is an un-reimbursed medical expense?
A: Recurring out-of-pocket expenses that are related to the care of the Veteran or Surviving Spouse. Examples: cost of assisted living, cost of in-home care, and cost of skilled nursing. Medi-care premiums, Medi-care supplements, Health Insurance premiums.

Q: What is the maximum amount of liquid assets allowed?
A: There is No absolute amount. It depends on Life Expectancy and how rapidly assets are being used. The VA will apply their Life Expectancy Table for Net Worth Determination to see if the applicant has too many liquid assets.

Q: Did the Surviving Spouse need to be married to the Veteran at the time of the Veteran’s death?
A: Yes, if the spouse divorced the veteran she/he would not be eligible for the pension.

Q: What if the Surviving Spouse remarries?
A: If the Surviving Spouse remarries after the death of the Veteran, he/she is not qualified unless the second spouse is also a Veteran and she/he was married to the second Veteran for at least one year before the Veteran’s death.

Q: I am the Power Of Attorney for the Veteran/Surviving Spouse can I sign the application?
A: The VA does not recognize POA’s in this process. The only other person that can sign an application for the applicant is a court appointed Conservator.

Q: What if the Veteran or Surviving Spouse can not sign the application?
A: If the Veteran or the Surviving Spouse can not sign the application a poor signature will be accepted or the applicant must make an “X” and have it witnessed by two people with their addresses.